Good Morning

Good Morning

Thursday 7 August 2014

MEMORIALS




On a wintery July day in Australia, I received a package on my front porch. It was a rose bush, spindly and spiky, as bare-root roses are. It was the Daniel Morcombe Memorial Rose, beautifully packaged, but there was no indication who had sent it. I did not solve the mystery, but planted it in my garden.

Yesterday I saw a TV interview with Daniel’s father and mother. Their 13 year old son, who would have been a young man now, had been abducted and murdered. Over the years, putting their unimaginable grief to practical use, these parents have created memorials in his memory. The rose is just one gesture. His parents have also written a book, and campaigned to have child safety programmes built into the school curriculum.

Another reminder of loss occurred yesterday. In Saint Patrick’s Cathedral in Melbourne, a cross-faith service was held to acknowledge all those who died when Malaysian airline MH17 was shot down over the Ukraine three weeks ago. Priests and pastors of various faiths spoke words of comfort. There was singing. Strangers came  together and were united by this random act of violence.

We have all lost a partner, a parent, sibling, relative, friend or pet. Illness, a random act of nature or war can change our lives in a moment. It’s exactly one year since Jessica, our beloved golden Labrador, was put to sleep. Another puppy has recently come to help fill that void. In my garden, Daniel’s rose bush is putting on its gleaming coppery foliage, ready for a summer blooming. We go on. My wish is that our memories will be loving, and that all who feel grief and sorrow may receive a gentle healing.

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely surprise to receive that rose, Margaret. Daniel's death must surely have touched most Australians.
    Perhaps I'm being cynical but I fear and suspect the culprits of MH17 will never be called to account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noelene, after your valiant efforts to post a comment, you have succeeded! I still wonder why that rose came to me. Was it a mistake, a surprise gift, serendipity...

      Delete
  2. How beautifully expressed that post was, Margaret. It brought tears to my eyes and reminded me of a line from the poem 'No man is an island' by John Donne. Wonderful poem. The line that seems most appropriate is. 'Every man's death diminishes me'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Anna, I had tears in my eyes too. It was a moving day, added to it we attended a guide dog function in town, where among the guests were a couple of golden and black labs. They showed a movie of the dogs working together with their owners. I just sat there quietly blubbing! When I came home, I thought about all these losses, yet life does go on, so a little piece wrote itself.

      Delete
  3. Yes Danni, heartfelt was the word. This post has drawn several comments that show me how much we all share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful reminder, Margaret. The rose bush is a wonderful way to keep their son's memory alive. Those of us who lived through the 9/11 tragedy in NYC have 5,000 daffodil bulbs from Holland planted in Central Park to remind us every spring of those who lost their lives. The living memorial is a gentle reminder to savor each day and the people and animals we love. Than you, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a human instinct to use flowers at sad times. I guess it is their beauty and fragility that answers our need. How lovely the park will be in spring.

      Delete
  5. Very touching....Thx for sharing...It's sad, but true, life goes on and we have to go on with it no matter how much we're hurting. Wishing you a speedy spring....and many lovely roses....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Tabitha, life does go on, though for some people I guess it can never be the same. I look forward to spring, and more changing seasons.

      Delete
  6. You are forever eloquent, Margaret. A moving post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your kind words! I am occasionally eloquent. The rest of the time I don't have much worth saying...!

      Delete
  7. Lovely post, Margaret. I hope you'll share photos of your rose bush when it's in full bloom so we can all enjoy it with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope the little plant will surprise me with the blooms promised on its ticket. I will certainly share them.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing with us. You are right, we all have had loss of some sort in our life, be it friend, family or pet. Tomorrow will be my daughter and son-in-law's 13th wedding anniversary. They married on a Thursday, because August 9th was his beloved late grandfather's birthday, and he wanted to celebrate the beginning of their marriage on a special day. May Daniel's rose bloom and each bloom remind you of a special young man taken way too soon. Rest in Peace Daniel, you are deeply missed but not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete